Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: Sponsorship

HI Annmarie, and welcome to the group.
My name is Lori, Im an alcoholic from Michigan ... with an internet
sponsor that lives in Pennsylvania. So, on line sponsoring does
work. Ive been sober a little over 4yrs now and I sponsor other women
on line too and f2f.
I talk to my sponsor on the phone regularly as well and she and I have
met/visited a few times too.

Please give yourself some time tho to get over some of your fears. Cuz
in all reality there is nothing that takes the place of real life
hugging, sharing, going for coffee , going to meetings together , and
developing that all important, crucial, vital relationship that a
sponsor and sponsee have.
Keep going to meetings ... listen and look for a woman that has the
kinds of things you want .... sobriety, spirituality, humility,
friendly, confidence, positive attitude, etc, etc. dont be afraid to
ask cuz far as Im concerned ... any good AAer should be willing to at
least give a new person the time to share/swap stories and get to know
each other to see if it might work out.

Not every person is the right one for each other. Some times it takes
a little time to find the One we click with. Pray about it Ann marie,
the answers will come and you will gain the courage you need.
They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear :-)

On Feb 15, 6:19 pm, Steve_W <swolf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I really identify with your anxiety Annamarie. I shook like hell in the
> rooms for a while but my home group have me a hug and carried me through it.
> Above all, they always told me to Keep Comming Back. I did and in turn, lost
> the shakes and the compulsion to drink. As far as asking someone to sponsor
> you. Instead of focusing on your fear to ask.. try and focus on how you will
> help the person you ask to sponsor you. It is a WE program. Together we can
> help each other stay sober. If your new to recovery try a little less
> thinking and more action. My sponsor told me my best thinking got me drunk
> and all of the rest of the insanity that goes with it.
>
>   Peace and with luv and concern.
>
> Regards
>               Steve W
>
> PS KEEP COMMING BACK!
>
> Recovery Advocate
> swolf...@gmail.com
>
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM, RamonaQuimby8
> <greeneyedsqua...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi, I'm Annamarie, I'm an alcoholic.
>
> > I know it isn't ideal, but I was wondering if anyone ever does online
> > sponsorship? I suffer from social anxiety, and just going to meetings
> > is quite an ordeal for me. I force myself to go to several a week, and
> > I try to share at every meeting or at least volunteer to read even
> > though my whole body shakes, just to try to get myself over my extreme
> > nervousness... but asking someone to sponsor me? Forget it! That's
> > absolutely terrifying!!! First there's the whole having to go up and
> > talk to someone thing, which is beyond scary for me. Then there's the
> > risk that they'll say "no," and I'll have to also face my extreme fear
> > of rejection! Not to mention, if they aren't working out well for me,
> > and I have to let them go, I have a fear of confrontation. Oh! And if
> > they let me go, I have issues with abandonment...
>
> > You can see how this whole thing puts me in a tizzy. It's not just
> > that I'm shy, it's a pathological thing. I'm in therapy for it.
> > Actually, I've been working the steps with my therapist, somewhat out
> > of order, but I've gotten through most of them. But she can't really
> > be my sponsor, so I need to find someone else. I thought maybe if I
> > could go through the steps with someone in an online relationship
> > first, it would make it easier to ask someone in real life to be my
> > sponsor afterwards. I'd have more of an idea of how it all works and
> > would feel braver. For me, the online world is less threatening,
> > because I don't have to deal with face-to-face interaction and I can
> > take my time before I respond to something.
>
> > So, is this something people can do, or *must* it be in "real life"?
> > Thanks for any advice, input, suggestions.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to Google's "Alcoholics Anonymous" group.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to alcoholicsanonymous-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

To report abuse from this group, send email to http://groups.google.com/group/alcoholicsanonymous/post?sendowner=1

~~~~~~~~~
NOTE* This group has neither been approved or endorsed by and is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. or any service entity of A.A.W.S., Inc.
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments:

Post a Comment