Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: Sponsorship

 I really identify with your anxiety Annamarie. I shook like hell in the rooms for a while but my home group have me a hug and carried me through it. Above all, they always told me to Keep Comming Back. I did and in turn, lost the shakes and the compulsion to drink. As far as asking someone to sponsor you. Instead of focusing on your fear to ask.. try and focus on how you will help the person you ask to sponsor you. It is a WE program. Together we can help each other stay sober. If your new to recovery try a little less thinking and more action. My sponsor told me my best thinking got me drunk and all of the rest of the insanity that goes with it.
 
  Peace and with luv and concern.

Regards
              Steve W

PS KEEP COMMING BACK!

Recovery Advocate
swolf154@gmail.com


On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM, RamonaQuimby8 <greeneyedsqualor@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I'm Annamarie, I'm an alcoholic.

I know it isn't ideal, but I was wondering if anyone ever does online
sponsorship? I suffer from social anxiety, and just going to meetings
is quite an ordeal for me. I force myself to go to several a week, and
I try to share at every meeting or at least volunteer to read even
though my whole body shakes, just to try to get myself over my extreme
nervousness... but asking someone to sponsor me? Forget it! That's
absolutely terrifying!!! First there's the whole having to go up and
talk to someone thing, which is beyond scary for me. Then there's the
risk that they'll say "no," and I'll have to also face my extreme fear
of rejection! Not to mention, if they aren't working out well for me,
and I have to let them go, I have a fear of confrontation. Oh! And if
they let me go, I have issues with abandonment...

You can see how this whole thing puts me in a tizzy. It's not just
that I'm shy, it's a pathological thing. I'm in therapy for it.
Actually, I've been working the steps with my therapist, somewhat out
of order, but I've gotten through most of them. But she can't really
be my sponsor, so I need to find someone else. I thought maybe if I
could go through the steps with someone in an online relationship
first, it would make it easier to ask someone in real life to be my
sponsor afterwards. I'd have more of an idea of how it all works and
would feel braver. For me, the online world is less threatening,
because I don't have to deal with face-to-face interaction and I can
take my time before I respond to something.

So, is this something people can do, or *must* it be in "real life"?
Thanks for any advice, input, suggestions.




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to Google's "Alcoholics Anonymous" group.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to alcoholicsanonymous-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

To report abuse from this group, send email to http://groups.google.com/group/alcoholicsanonymous/post?sendowner=1

~~~~~~~~~
NOTE*  This group has neither been approved or endorsed by and is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. or any service entity of A.A.W.S., Inc.

-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments:

Post a Comment