Sunday, February 15, 2009

Re: Getting away with it?

Hi Marci,
Online AA definitely isn't any substitute for face-to-face AA, that's for sure.
Here is what I did when I first went into a meeting...I was met at the door by a guy who was handing out laminated copies of things for folks to read to get the meeting started. He gave me the "AA Traditions" and when called upon, I read them.
When it came around to me, I shared that I had about 30 hours without a drink and was there to learn. I then passed and listened.
 
At the end of the meeting, I went up to speak to the guy who had brought up the topic. I had identified with him and thought maybe I could help him out. I gave him my phone number, and he gave me his and then invited me to go to coffee with him and the guy who had handed me the Traditions. So, I accepted...now, when I had walked in, I had had a plan to kill myself after the meeting after finally having proven that AA had nothing to offer me...instead, I was at coffee with two guys who shared their experience with me and I made arrangements to meet them at other meetings and kept those appointments. I suggest simply that if you do what I did, you'll get what I got...and it's been quite a few years since these events happened that I'm describing here.
 
Keep coming back,
Hal

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Marci <ladyow347042@gmail.com> wrote:
I think I'm thinking too much right now. My husband is so upset with me. won't hardly talk. I guess that's his way of also telling me I need help which he has told me before. He dosen't even think much of this group talk. I told him it was a start till I could call AA in the morning.They are closed here on Sunday's. But I can't blame him for the way he feels it can't be easy on him either.


On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM, HB Gill <hb.gill@gmail.com> wrote:
Thinking is the beginning of my problems. I don't think well. I lose relationships over my thinking...and that's one of the major reasons that I need to go to AA meetings and hear others thinking...and realize that I mustn't believe everything I think.
 
Keep coming back...I just got callled to dinner by my wife who is very glad that I'm not drinking!
Hal

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM, <ericg44@vzw.blackberry.net> wrote:
I'll always know when I've had a drink - will never be able to "get away with it" the rest of my life. Home alone today, wife and kids two hours away. I've thought about a drink most of the day. I have 85 days.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: RamonaQuimby8 <greeneyedsqualor@gmail.com>

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 00:59:31
To: Alcoholics Anonymous<alcoholicsanonymous@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Getting away with it?



I have almost one year sober, and I still find that "the committee" in
the back of my head reminds me when I could be "getting away" with
drinking. The difference is, now I don't WANT to get away with it. I
can think it through, and I know what would happen if I did. Sure, no
one would know, that time. Maybe not the next time either, but for me,
I'm "one drink away from a drunk" or however they say it. That one
time would lead to more, and the guilt of pulling one over on my loved
ones would gnaw at my insides, and I'd end up drinking even more over
it. I know I would end up losing the man I love and most likely my mom
and sister as well, if not my life (which would be pretty likely, I've
been too close to death too many times). I can remind myself of all of
that and know that I don't have to drink today, or ever again. And
now, it's because I don't want to. The amazing things that have
happened in my life since I've gotten sober are evidence that my life
truly is better without alcohol. I may be shy, but I've started making
friends and even got engaged! I may be a bad dancer, but I love
dancing around my apartment by myself. I may be stressed out at
school, but I love taking naps. I've discovered all of these things
since I quit drinking (I used to just use alcohol to make me brave/a
better dancer/less stressed). So yeah, it's totally normal to realize
you can get away with it. Especially in the early days. It's that
cunning/baffling/powerful business. But remind yourself why you don't
WANT to. Think it through past that next morning. Good luck and
congratulations on your "small victory" -- it seems like a big one to
me, by the way!












--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to Google's "Alcoholics Anonymous" group.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to alcoholicsanonymous-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

To report abuse from this group, send email to http://groups.google.com/group/alcoholicsanonymous/post?sendowner=1

~~~~~~~~~
NOTE*  This group has neither been approved or endorsed by and is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. or any service entity of A.A.W.S., Inc.

-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments:

Post a Comment