Sunday, February 15, 2009

[epistemology 10285] Re: Cancer can be postponed by science

Had the beer and am now suffering. It's time for a lifestyle change
for me too. I bought a decent computer for my grandson last week and
I'd like to be around for him for a while, but also need to get away
from mediocrity and much dumb stuff in order to focus on some creative
production. In the end I have to accept I need some other minds
around me, however pretentious this can feel. Years ago I was in
Bucharest and had taken a Saul Bellow novel with me. It was awful,
but was about a Chicago professor disillusioned after blowing the
whistle on academic corruption there - only to find worse in Bucharest
with professors whining about the tragedy of having read great works
in the freezing moral climate of the Soviet Block. A mate there
removed the book from my hotel bedroom before a visit from the State
Police (farcically they were only coming to invite me to play soccer),
thinking it dangerous. He saved me from the god-awful prose at any
rate. There was a plot for some of them to escape to the West on
board a Turkish steamer. The Soviet Paradise would exist another
million years and so on. The Berlin wall came down almost the next
day. I feel I have read too much in the freezing moral climate here!
Igor (really) turned up a few weeks ago, moaning about the collapse of
academic challenge (he works at NSU) and values - worse even than he
had known working at Moldova State. We both know this isn't exactly
true of course, but the issues are about having to teach material that
cannot translate into practice because there is almost no morality to
appeal to. My depressions about this used to lapse when a few decent
students turned up and I was able to help. Of late I've been doing
projects and been successful in money raising in order to escape
teaching but I feel ground down. Most of the money is stolen by
central admin and all my energy by the bureaucracy. There is
something called FEC (full economic costing) in which 34% to 65% of
funding goes to overheads and I have to cost a research student at
£95K a year. When we get the money I have to buy equipment from
authorised suppliers who are in a discount deal with the unis. This
means rip off high prices and a return of cash to admin at the end of
the year. Then I have tor recruit academics to work for nothing some
their departments can scrape what's left of the cheese. Strangely,
the academics show remarkable personal financial acumen and tell me
where to stick my Greek offerings! Time, I think, to write the novel
rather than lived trapped as a character in one!

On 15 Feb, 14:55, chazwin <chazwy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, archytas <nwte...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > As brilliant as could be in the circumstances Chaz.  I would shed a
> > tear if I wasn't such a bastard!  I hope you recover your taste for
> > wine - mines buggered by some tablets for a toenail fungus, but it's
> > beginning to look better and I should be off them in 6 weeks.  Small
> > beer, one might say - might just pop out for one to celebrate.  The
> > voodoo doll and the pins clearly ain't worked!  You still going to do
> > the Sussex gig mate?  Some chance I'll be in Cambridge full time next
> > academic year.
>
> Cambridge sounds nice!
> I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take up my place in September. I was going
> to follow up with a thesis but time is probably too short for me now.
> You never know.
>
>
>
> > On 12 Feb, 23:20, chazwin <chazwy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thank you matey
>
> > > On Feb 12, 2:14 pm, einseele <Einse...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > HELLO CHAZ
>
> > > > WHAT A WONDERFUL NEWS!
>
> > > > YOU MADE MY DAY HAPPIER
>
> > > > ENJOY
>
> > > > Let's start any idiot thread, like why God does or does not exist or
> > > > anything alike
>
> > > > All important things are not things of course
>
> > > > my very best wishes to you out there
>
> > > > Carlos
>
> > > > On 11 fev, 17:39, chazwin <chazwy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > To any of those who expressed good wishes...
>
> > > > > Up date on tonsil cancer -  well I've been through the shit-storm:
> > > > > completed by 33 sessions of radiotherapy, and 6 weeks of consecutive
> > > > > chemotherapy. I've come out the other end having lost 30lbs, with no
> > > > > saliva; a persistent sore throat, especially when I eat; I have to
> > > > > carry artificial saliva and water with me at all times; I wake 2-3
> > > > > times per night with a dry mouth; I can't drink wine, enjoy chocolate
> > > > > or yogurt, and some other foods taste weird.
> > > > > But on the other hand I have lost my thrift: I treated myself to a
> > > > > newish silver 3 series BMW convertible, and tend not to worry when
> > > > > buying books CDs DVDs, and taking Cath out to dinner, theatre etc.
> > > > > 2 Weeks ago we traveled through the snow to get a CT/PT scan (the one
> > > > > in Brighton was out of order). The wait has been torturous. Today I
> > > > > attended clinic to hear the results. I am clear!
> > > > > Best case scenario I am clear of cancer and can expect to live up to
> > > > > 20 years before the radiation makes its own cancer, or until I get a
> > > > > new primary. Worst case scenario: I still have cancer but it is either
> > > > > microscopic, or any tumor is under 1cm in diameter which means that I
> > > > > can stop obsessing and worrying about my immanent demise -  at least
> > > > > for the foreseeable future.
> > > > > So there is no other way to describe this than: great news.
>
> > > > > And  I can postponed by epitaph based on Boswell's account of Hume's
> > > > > last day.
>
> > > > > Chaz
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Epistemology" group.
To post to this group, send email to epistemology@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to epistemology+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/epistemology?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments:

Post a Comment